Thanksgiving is one my favorite holidays!! To me, it is the kick off to the most magical time of the year. I love gathering together, celebrating what we are grateful and eating the most amazing food!
However, for the host Thanksgiving can be an exhausted, frustrating and stressful event! Here are some tips to help you enjoy hosting Thanksgiving!
- Plan ahead!! Know your menu. Have a shopping list ready. Plan what bakeware and cookware you are using. Plan what dishes, napkins and silverware you are using. Be sure to have guests RSVP so you will know who all will be there.
- Don’t experiment!!! I love Paula Deen Christmas and Thanksgiving magazines, but the Thanksgiving meal is not time to experiment with a recipe that you haven’t tried yet. Stick to what you know works!
- Turkey! Order your turkey!! You will need about 3/4 to 1 pound of turkey per person!
- Buy some store-bought goodies!! It is perfectly acceptable to buy a few things that are already pre-made. If you don’t want to make a pie, Marie Calendar’s pumpkin pie is amazing!! Some grocery store delis have awesome prepared side dishes. No shame in that game!
- Make some dishes in advance! Some things can be prepared and kept in the fridge a few days before baking. Doing some of the dishes ahead of time will save a ton of time.
- Don’t make a big deal over appetizers. Set out some bread and cheese and be done. People are there for the main meal, don’t stress over appetizers at Thanksgiving dinner.
- ASK FOR HELP! Don’t feel bad about asking people to bring food, drink or even to come early and help out. Taking on the whole burden of Thanksgiving prep is a lot of work. Whatever you do, if someone asks if they can help; say yes! You already know your menu and what you could use more of. People usually don’t mind helping if they just know what you need. Delegate!!!
- The night before: Go to bed early!!! This is not the night to stay up late watching Christmas movies. Get plenty of rest so you can wake up ready to rock Thanksgiving.
- The day of: Get up early!! You went to bed early, now get up early! Enjoy your coffee and few minutes of peace and then get to it. Time always goes by faster than you think and there is always that person that shows up early!
- People over perfection!! Thanksgiving is about being grateful, not being perfect. When inviting people into your home, it is not so you can impress them but so you can make them feel they have a warm and loving place to belong. Don’t stress about things being perfect, enjoy the people who are there.
If you are not hosting; call the host right now and ask what you can do!!! If they have nothing for you to do, show up with a hostess gift! Us southerners never show up empty-handed!
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!!!